World Tourism Day 27th September
“BE THE CHANGE, BE A CONSCIOUS TRAVELLER”
Creative writing and photography competition
Call for Entries
Happy World Tourism Day!
The United Nations General Assembly affirmed 2017 as the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development. There is no doubt that tourism can contribute to all the three dimensions of sustainable development – economic, social and environmental – and each of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Sustainable tourism can support environmental protection, champion celebration of local cultural heritage, and strengthen peace in the world.
In this spirit, World Tourism Day 2017 presents a unique opportunity to celebrate what each and everyone can do to travel sustainably – “Be the change, be a conscious traveller”.
This year, CamConscious and its partners chose to celebrate the World Tourism Day by launching a Creative writing and photography competition!
THE COMPETITION THEME
The theme for the Competition is sustainable travel in Cambodia. The judges will be looking, first and foremost, for original and imaginative treatments of the ideas underpinning the competition, so you interpret this is a range of creative ways. This can be interpreted in a wider sense through subjects linked to the environment, the people and tourism destinations.
- Cambodian nationals, expats living in Cambodia as well as international tourists are welcome to apply
- The minimum age for participation in the competition is 15years, there is no upper age limit.
- Only submissions connected to sustainable travel in Cambodia will qualify for participation in the competition.
RULES AND GUIDELINES
- Entries should be the work of the entrant alone.
- Entrants should enter individually, not in groups and can submit up to 2 entries each.
- All submissions must be original work and be owned by the photographer/writer.
- All entries must be entered via this website. No postal or email entries will be accepted.
Winners of each of the category and sub-categories will be awarded travel-related prizes such as accommodation and travel vouchers, guest passes to a spar, travel equipment etc.
The submission period begins at 12:00am on 27th September 2017 and ends at 11:59pm on 1st November 2017. Entries submitted before or after the Entry Period will not be eligible.
The Public vote for People’s Choice begins at 12:00am on 5th November 2017 and ends at 11:59pm on 15th November 2017 ( Votes submitted before or after the Voting Period will not be eligible. Profession panel selection will take place at the same time.
- This competition is open to all professional and amateur photographers who have reached the age of 15.
- Images can be of any subject (landscape, wildlife, portrait, etc), but should be connected the theme of Sustainable travel in Cambodia. Images can be in colour or black & white.
- Photographs taken by a camera as well as photos taken by a mobile phone can be submitted.
- Minimum resolution for photos should be 300dpi (high-quality photo).
- All photographs must be original work and be owned by the photographer.
- Photos that contain sexually explicit, nude, obscene, violent or other objectionable or inappropriate content.
- Images that involve the willful harassment of wildlife, or damage to the environment by the photographer.
There are entry 2 subcategories: young people 15-25 years + over 25years
As part of the entry, you must provide a caption of up to 40 words on where it was taken, what’s happening in the shot, what inspired you to take it, etc. You must also supply your full name, email address, and telephone number with the caption.
CREATIVE WRITING COMPETITION
- This competition is open to anyone who loves to write.
- You are invited to write a piece of prose or poetry in English or Khmer.
- Each entry should be minimum of 500 words, though no longer than 1000 words (there is no word limit for poetry)
- However literally you take the theme –Sustainable travel in Cambodia, you are encouraged to be imaginative, to think and write about relationships, travels, meetings, your dreams for sustainability and experiences you have had.
- The judges will be looking, first and foremost, for original and imaginative treatments of the ideas underpinning the competition.
- Entries should be submitted as Microsoft Word and PDF formats only.
There are 2 sub-categories – Submissions in Khmer + submissions in English
NEW! Teacher’s notes and lesson plans for teachers, educators, youth workers and NGOs, interested in supporting their students in entering the creative writing competition. Download PDF here and MS Word here